I wondered a few days ago how many of the councillors who made the decision to approve the St Lukes mall expansion in Auckland live nearby. We now know: one – sort of.
The minutes (pdf) of the November 17 Council meeting are now online (currently here, but I suspect that link won’t be permanent) and they show that out of the 20 councillors and the mayor, 16 voted for the change to the District Plan, and of those the only one you could argue lives close to the mall is Christine Fletcher. She lives 4.2 km away in Bourne St, Mt Eden and represents the Albert-Eden-Roskill ward, which includes St Lukes.
All of those who voted for the change and the wards they represent are –
- Arthur Anae – Manukau
- Cameron Brewer – Orakei
- Len Brown – Mayor
- Alf Filipaina – Manukau
- Chris Fletcher – Albert-Eden-Roskill
- Michael Goudie – Albany
- Ann Hartley – North Shore
- Penny Hulse – Waitakere
- Des Morrison – Franklin
- Calum Penrose – Manurewa-Papakura
- Noelene Raffills – Whau
- Jami-Lee Ross – Howick
- Sharon Stewart – Howick
- John Walker – Manurewa-Papakura
- Penny Webster – Rodney
- George Wood – North Shore
Only five voted against the change to the Plan. They were –
- Cathy Casey, who lives in Allendale Ave, Mt Albert. She is the closest councillor to St Lukes at 2.8 km away. Like Fletcher, she also represents Albert-Eden-Roskill.
- Sandra Coney – Waitakere.
- Mike Lee – Waitemata & Gulf.
- Richard Northey – Maungakiekie-Tamaki.
- Wayne Walker – Albany.